Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Classroom spotlight: My Room!

The first day of school was a success! We had a lot of changes to our every day operations and a new technology initiative entitled, BYOD (Bring Your Own Device). One of the biggest and most challenging changes is our new class schedule. We are the pilot program for seven, 55 minute, class periods during the day as opposed to four, 90 minute, block classes. Most of the teachers at SHS have only taught on a block schedule, so this change has thrown a few for a loop. We all found ourselves being interrupted by the bell for class change! We also felt that the new schedule made our day fly by very quickly. 

I am so excited to reveal my classroom on my blog! I work very hard every year to ensure that my classroom is fun and inviting. While some may argue that it looks too "elementary," I must remind them that high school students are still kids, so let's celebrate the school day with some fun decor!

This corner/side of my room features my desk area. I don't spend a lot of time at my desk during the school day, so I try to keep this area very small and compact. On the wall behind my desk is one of my most favorite reminders, "Love thy neighbor as thyself." I think this is something my students should read every day.
This is the back wall of my room. Please excuse the cardboard boxes in the floor! I am in the process of getting some new technology set up in my classroom, so I have many boxes of tools/wires. The giant mask in the back of the room is a prom decor from long ago. I am in charge of the prom, so from time to time I will recycle a theme and add it to my classroom. I also like to share the love with my fellow teachers by letting them use whatever they find in the prom closet. 
This is the front view of my room. The giant cardboard box is my Promethean board! As soon as it is installed, I will add that picture to the mix. The area covered in newspapers is my cabinet space. I get so tired of the boring brown doors, so I decided to cover them with old newspapers and use them as a place to display student work. As you can tell, my desks are not placed in long rows. I like to leave the middle area open for a "stage." It allows me to move about freely and interact with my students.




This side of my room is my most favorite! I added the paper lanterns and fans just this year. I thought it would make my classroom look like a birthday party. Who doesn't want to go to a birthday party every day?

I also use this area for my word wall and to display AP devices. On my door, I made a poster that says, "You are responsible for how you act, no matter how you feel." This serves as a reminder to me too!




I will be adding more pictures of my classroom throughout the year. I like to use my student's work as decoration, so my classroom is always evolving. Have a great second day of school!

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Your comments are always helpful and make me smile!