Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday Funday! Classroom Spotlight: Mrs. Holmes

As I mentioned before, I am a 3rd generation teacher. My grandmother, mother, aunt, multiple cousins, sister, and sister-in-law are all teachers! We can honestly say that it is "in our blood." I spent many summers helping my mom decorate her room or playing school with my cousins in our grandmother's classroom. I am never at a loss for resources, because my family is a wealth of ideas and inspiration for my classroom. This week, I am going to feature a classroom every day. I am going to start with my family members' classrooms, because I am always inspired by them.
Mom and Dad dancing at my wedding!

The first spotlight is my mom, Trena Holmes. She is such an amazing teacher and truly loves her students. Any time we go to Walmart or Winn Dixie or any restaurant, she is like Justin Bieber! Her former students run to give her a hug each time. I am very proud that she is my mom. When I began teaching, my kindergarten-teacher-of-a-Mom brought her ideas and hot glue gun to my classroom. She came up with brilliant ideas that allowed us to create a welcoming environment in my high school classroom. She has great ideas, so I hope that this spotlight helps anyone in need of some teaching inspiration!

A little about my mom...

Mom visiting a classroom in Morocco.
Trena Holmes was born and raised in Gadsden, Alabama. She has been married to my father for 35 years! (Wow!) Together they have 3 children, Joshua, Farrah (me!), and Holli. My mom graduated from Jacksonville State University with a Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education and a Master's of Education in Elementary Education.  Mrs. Holmes teaches at Southside Elementary School in the Etowah County School System. She previously taught at John S. Jones Elementary within in the same system.


A Peak into her Classroom: 


 When you first walk into my mom's classroom, you know that a lot of fun and a lot of learning happens in this beautiful classroom. Mrs. Holmes loves a jungle-theme, so during the summer she made leopard print chair covers/pockets for all of her students. The rug in front of the Promethean board is made up of foam pieces that she buys every year at Sam's. They are very durable and affordable. 






Continuing with the jungle theme, she made vines for her monkeys out of brown paper. This is so easy and so cute! In this corner, she has a computer center and a reading corner. 












In the computer corner, she has placed her "reading buddy." The students use this during their "center time." The alligator has his own book collection and reading glasses! They also get to practice their sight-words with him! I think this is such a cute addition to this corner. 









This is a close-up of a few of her other centers. She organizes them in tubs with special labels so that the students always know where to go and what to be doing.











I love a classroom library! My mom has an amazing collections of books, some of which were my childhood books! I love flipping through her collection and find my favorites. I still love Miss Mouse's House and The Giving Tree. Mom does allow for her students to "check out" books and take them home. 











The first day of school for kindergarten is full of excitement and tears. In an effort to help parents survive this transition time, my mom reads the class and their parents this book. It is a tradition she started long ago and the parents always love it!





These popcorn boxes contain books that have accompanying games. This is also a reading center for the students.











The back corner of the room has the library and an area for "small group" instruction. The kindergarten students have quite a busy schedule during the day! They have centers, small group learning, science, reading, writing....and the list goes on and on. 








This table is used for both small group instruction and centers. 













This cute little guy is a treat for students at the end of the day. If the student has behaved all day, he/she get a sucker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Your comments are always helpful and make me smile!