Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Grammar, Grammar, Grammar

Teaching high school grammar can be one of the most arduous tasks for any English teacher. I find that I easily run out of resources before my students have completely mastered a standard. While I know that many of the students have had amazing grammar teachers in the past, I still have to reteach subject-verb agreement before I can introduce parallel structure. I also have to reteach pronoun-antecedent agreement before I can explain what pronoun-special antecedent agreement means. Over the past three years, I have really studied and research different online resources for my students. I wanted/needed something fun and different to assist me in reviewing grammar concepts. I have three go-to websites that I pretty much use on a daily basis. I will share them below:

Grammar Girl: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl This website includes examples, exercises, and podcasts that I can share with my students.

Chomp Chomp: www.chompchomp.com 

My students love it when I use this website. The exercises are fun and easy to understand and offer great ACT review. 







Purdue Owl: 
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/

I use this website for my AP classes when teaching MLA/APA format, as well as when I am reviewing basic paragraph structure. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Your comments are always helpful and make me smile!