Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Putting "art" in Language Arts

I love to incorporate art in my classroom. If I had been blessed with the gift of drawing or painting, I would have chosen to teach art all day long. Unfortunately, I am not a Picasso or even a good scribbler, so I have to step aside and let my students be the real artists in my classroom. One of the activites I love to use in my classroom is a project called "Imagery Sketch." Whenever my students are reading a novel in my class, they are asked to create 3 imagery sketches. The students find passages or elements within the story and illustrate it. They have to create one for the beginning, the middle, and the end of the book. Right now, my 10th grade English classes are reading Fahrenheit 451 in conjunction with Banned Books week. Anyone who has ever read this book knows that Bradbury incorporates imagery unlike any other author. His descriptions are specific and easy to interpret. I have included some photos of my student's sketches from the first portion of the novel. I hope you enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Your comments are always helpful and make me smile!