Friday, September 13, 2013

Quick and Easy Quesadillas!

Even though it is almost the middle of September, I still feel as though the first day of school was yesterday! I am constantly playing "catch-up" with all things school-related and I am pretty sure my daily to-do lists will never actually get finished in one day. I just have to remind myself that Rome was not built in a day. 

While I am trying to play catch-up, I am also trying to maintain an orderly home and an organized menu for each week. As I have said before, I really enjoy cooking and planning meals. Justin is quite easy to please as he eats almost everything, so I am able to experiment in my crock pot or oven frequently. Recently, I decided I wanted to try my hand at creating a Mexican crock pot recipe, so I got out some of my most favorite ingredients and put them in my magical crock pot and ta-da!! We had chicken quesadillas! Try this out: 

Crock Pot Ingredients: 

3-4 chicken breasts (Because there are only 2 of us, I usually just cook 3)
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1/2 onion
1 can Rotel
1/2 cup of water or chicken broth
1 package of fajita or Mexican seasoning (I like using MSG free products like McCormick's seasoning)


Quesadilla Ingredients: 

Whole Wheat Tortillas
Cheese of your choice
Olive oil spray
Salsa 



Directions: 

Place chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)Slice up bell peppers and onions, place them on top of the chicken. Pour Rotel, chicken broth or water, and seasoning onto the vegetable/chicken ingredients. Cook on low for 6 hours for frozen chicken or 4 hours for thawed chicken. After everything is cooked, place in a large bowl and shred the chicken and larger pieces of bell pepper or onions using a fork. 

To make the quesadillas, you can use either a regular frying pan on the stove or a griddle. Take one tortilla and spray olive oil on each side (this allows the tortilla to be a little crunchy). Place tortilla on griddle or pan and allow it to heat for 1-2 minutes. Spread chicken/veg mixture onto the tortilla along with cheese. Fold the tortilla over and allow it to cook until the cheese is melted. 

Leftover tips: I always have a lot left over, because I am cooking for 2. I like to make as many quesadillas that I can out of this recipe and wrap them in foil and either freeze or save for lunch. I also like to take the left over mixture and use it in salads if I don't want to make just quesadillas. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Your comments are always helpful and make me smile!